TNB suspends electricity disconnection until Sept 20

 Consumers most affected by a surge in electricity consumption charges during the Movement Control Order (MCO) are those whose tariff block was between 301 and 600 kilowatt hour (kWh), said Energy and Natural Resources Minister Datuk Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah. - NSTP/SAIFULLIZAN TAMADIConsumers most affected by a surge in electricity consumption charges during the Movement Control Order (MCO) are those whose tariff block was between 301 and 600 kilowatt hour (kWh), said Energy and Natural Resources Minister Datuk Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah. – NSTP/SAIFULLIZAN TAMADI

PUTRAJAYA: Consumers most affected by a surge in electricity consumption charges during the Movement Control Order (MCO) are those whose tariff block was between 301 and 600 kilowatt hour (kWh), said Energy and Natural Resources Minister Datuk Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah.

However, as electricity consumption rose in April, May and June as most Malaysians stayed at home, Shamsul Anuar said the group entered the next tariff block, of between 601 and 900 kWh.

“(Pre-MCO), they were paying a tariff of 51.6 sen per kWh and when they went into the next tariff block, the rate became 54.6 sen per kWh.

“This caused a spike in electricity charges, which meant there was a reduction in discounts from 15 per cent to two per cent,” he said during a press conference at the Energy Commission here, today.

Among those present were Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) chairman Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid, TNB chief executive officer Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah Azizan and Energy Commission chief executive officer Abdul Razid Dawood.

To ease the financial burden of the group, the newly-introduced ‘Bantuan Prihatin Elektrik’ will entitle those whose bills are between RM232.25 and RM395.60 to a 10 per cent discount for their April to September bills.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Datuk Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah. -  NSTP/ASWADI ALIAS

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Datuk Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah. – NSTP/ASWADI ALIAS

“This is an addition of eight per cent discount from only two per cent that they have enjoyed since April this year,” said Shamsul Anuar, adding that 916,000, or 12 per cent of domestic consumers, will benefit from the discount.

Shamsul Anuar added that the rakyat should not be troubled if they are unable to settle their electricity bills for now.

He said this is because TNB has agreed to halt electricity disconnection activities until Sept 20 this year.

“They should not be worried, as their electricity supply will not be cut off if they are facing financial difficulties. The calculation guidelines by TNB are organised and have been approved by the Energy Commission,” he said.

Shamsul Anuar had earlier announced the ‘Bantuan Prihatin Elektrik’, an additional assistance of RM942 million approved by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, to alleviate the financial burden of consumers facing high electricity bills.

With the extra aid, the total discount given to consumers from April 1 to Sept 30 this year has increased to RM2.2 billon.

Bantuan Prihatin Elektrik is funded by the government through Kumpulan Wang Industri Elektrik, the Finance Ministry and TNB.

Meanwhile, Amir Hamzah said TNB’s Easy Payment Plan, which allows consumers to opt to pay their bills in installments until the end of this year, is still in place.

The plan benefits 7.5 million residential customers who can choose to pay their electricity bills in instalments until Dec 31.

By Adib PoveraDawn Chan.

Read more @ https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2020/06/602036/tnb-suspends-electricity-disconnection-until-sept-20

Comments are closed.